Surely every family has their own recipe for chilli con carne?
It’s one of those meals, that takes little time or fuss to prepare, but pleases everyone.
Just in case you don’t, here’s ours:
Chilli con carne: (Serves 3-4)
500g lean minced beef
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 clove garlic, minced or finely chopped
1 lg or 2 small onions, peeled and finely chopped
1 – 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
1 – 410g tin of red kidney beans, drained
1-2 handfuls frozen corn or 1 small tin
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 level teaspoon of salt
freshly ground black pepper
between 1 pinch and 1 tsp of chilli flakes (depending how hot you like it!)
Basmati rice- 100g raw weight, per person.
1. Fry the onion, garlic and peppers in the vegetable oil until softened.
2. Add the minced beef and continue frying until no trace of pink remains-
3. Add the kidney beans, tomatoes, puree, corn, salt, pepper and chilli flakes and simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile measure out 100g per person raw weight Basmati rice, steam or boil until cooked to perfection.
5. Feed the hungry hordes, then marvel at yourself how clever you are making such a filling, tasty meal which includes a good few portions of their 8-a-day!