Zingy, lemony, zesty…….
What’s not to like?
I’m really enjoying baking from the ‘Fat Witch Brownies’ book! So far I’ve tried the ‘Fat Witch brownies’, the ‘White chocolate bars’ and, this time, the ‘Lemon Bars’, and d’you know what? Each recipe has worked perfectly, apart from mine needing a little longer in the oven.
So, if you don’t have this book….you need it.
Fat Witch Lemon Bars
1 cup plain flour
half a cup icing sugar
half a tsp salt
8 tbsp (120g) unsalted butter, not yet at room temperature, cut into pieces.
3 lg eggs
1 cup sugar
half a cup fresh lemon juice (about 3 lemons)
1 1/2 tbsp lemon zest
3 tbsp plain flour
big pinch salt.
Grease a 9×9 inch baking pan with butter (I use either foil or baking parchment as I find it easier to remove bars and brownies this way)
Preheat oven to 350deg.F. (160 deg.C Fan oven)
1. Make the crust- Sift flour, sugar and salt into a bowl, add the butter and mix in until it comes together.
2. Pat mixture into baking pan and bake for 15 mins. Allow to cool, make filling.
3. Beat eggs, slowly add sugar, beat in lemon juice and zest, mix well.
4. Add flour and salt, mix gently.
5. Pour filling over baked crust and bake for 15 mins.
6. Cool for at least 1 hr and cut just before serving.
Marks out of ten? 10.
Would I make this again? Definitely.
Would I do anything differently? No. Not a thing.
Recipe adapted from ‘Fat Witch brownies’ by Patricia Helding.