I love these. And I hadn’t made any for the longest time…..:-D
But, reader, it’s an irrefutable fact….
I cannot be trusted with 12 of them.
Not at all.
So, I halved the recipe. Clever, huh?
Now, 6, I can deal with.
I have a teensy weensy little problem with their name though. To me, they are not puffs.
No. Puffs conjure up airy fairy little morsels, but these are altogether sturdier – butter, cinnamon and sugar topped little cakes.
But, what’s in a name…don’t let that put you off! No….you will love them! 😀
Adapted from the hefty tome that is the ‘King Arthur Flour Baker’s Companion’.
Makes 12 large muffins.
3 cups plain flour
1 cup sugar
2 and a half tsp. baking powder
1 and a quarter tsp ground nutmeg
3/4 tsp salt
2 lg eggs
1 and a quarter cups (10 0z) milk
1/4 cup sugar
half tsp ground cinnamon
55g butter, melted.
Preheat oven to 350degF, Gas mark 4, or 160degC Fan oven.
1. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg and salt. Make a well in the centre,
2. In a jug beat egg lightly, then add milk and melted butter. Add to well.
3. Stir until just mixed in (Batter may be lumpy)
4. Lightly grease muffin cups, or use paper liners (Or silicone as I did) Fill three-quarters full.
5. Bake for 20-25 mins.
6. For the topping, whilst muffins are baking, combine sugar and cinnamon in a small, shallow bowl until blended.
7. When muffins come out of the oven, let them cool enough so that you don’t burn your fingers as you pick them up, dip the tops well in the melted butter, then into the cinnamon sugar mixture.
8. Serve warm.
Don’t say I didn’t warn you about making the full amount……
Anna, those look gorgeous. Definitely a must bake!Mariax
They look sooooo good, Anna! 😛
Perfect for a cinnamon lover like me!Filakia!
I've got to agree that these don't look like puffs – they do look really good, though.
Half recipe was a great idea – I'd scoff the lot!!
haha i'm sold. i laughed when i read you can't be trusted with 12, i know exactly what you are saying…..
oh my goodness they look spectacular!… I must give them a go x
Just wanted to say you have a great site and thanks for posting!…
Yes, yes, yes, I'm with you there – I will love them mmmmmmm!
Oh my the topping looks sooo good!I probably wouldn't trust myself either!