Who doesn’t love the classic combination of apple and cinnamon? Nothing brings these muffins quicker to mind than a couple of apples sitting languishing in the fruit bowl. Warming and homely, the entire kitchen smells divine! Rushing around today, on my morning off, I wanted to whip up a little something to treat my family and the staff who work for us in our business. What could be nicer? So, amidst thoughts rushing round my head, of new cameras (Canon or Nikon?) The Gym (Which class can I try next? Am I good enough to try advanced step?) they came into being.
Nigella’s Apple & Cinnamon Muffins
Adapted from ‘Kitchen’ by Nigella Lawson.
2 eating apples
250g plain flour
2 tsp. Baking powder
2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
125g light brown sugar, plus 4 tsp. for sprinkling
60ml runny natural yoghurt
125ml flavourless vegetable oil
75g natural, unblanched almonds.
1. Preheat oven to 200deg.C. (180deg.C Fan oven)
2. Peel and core the apples and chop into small dice.
3. Measure flour, B.P and 1 tsp. of the cinnamon into a bowl.
4. Whisk together the brown sugar, honey, yoghurt, vegetable oil and eggs in another bowl or jug.
5. Chop almonds roughly and add half of them to the flour. Put the other half into a small bowl with the other tsp. of cinnamon and the 4 tsp. of brown sugar.
6. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry, add the chopped apples. Stir to combine, but don’t overmix.
7. Spoon mix into muffin papers, top with the nutty, cinnamony, sugary mix.
8. Bake for 20 mins.
9. Once they are golden brown and cooked through, let them stand out of the oven for 5 minutes, before transfering to a wire rack to cool.
10. Serve with a lovely big cuppa! No, not in that mug…..in that BIG one…..should last while you’re scoffing a muffin….or two.