I’ve been trying to vary my intake of grains and flours lately, mainly due to Megan Gordon’s book Whole-Grain Mornings, after all variety is important in ensuring a healthy, balanced diet. Mind you, I’m not sure a stack of pancakes can count as healthy! 😉 I have, however, given a nod in the direction of health, by using both buckwheat AND wholegrain spelt as well as plain all-purpose flour and by using organic rice syrup to sweeten.
Here is my recipe, which will give you a pile of about 24 mini pancakes. Allow about 4 pancakes (at least :D) per portion.
Oh and I’ve got to show you my new pancake pan, bought from TKMaxx!
Spelt & Buckwheat Pancakes
100g plain (all-purpose) flour
75g Buckwheat flour
50g Whole-grain Spelt flour
Carton of buttermilk (284ml)
2 tbsp melted butter, cooled
1 tbsp sugar
Good pinch of salt
2-3 tbsp milk to achieve desired consistency
1 level tsp bicarbonate of soda.
1. Whisk together the eggs and buttermilk.
2. Slowly whisk in the cooled butter.
3. Mix in the flours, sugar, salt, bicarb and enough milk to achieve a thickish mixture.
4. Heat a little extra butter, or oil, in the pan and cook the pancakes on a low- medium temperature until bubbles erupt on the surface. Check the bottom of the pancake has browned by lifting one up slightly with a palette knife. Turn over and cook for a further 30 secs- 1 minute.
5. Repeat until all the mix has been used.
6. Take your stack (or two!) and sweeten with rice syrup, maple syrup, or any other sweetener of choice.
8. Thank the cook. 😉
The pancakes are lovely and the pan is so cool x
Thanks Dimple! 🙂 The pan is cool isn’t it!
I wish my husband shared my love of pancakes. Maybe these will win him over!
I hope they do!
MMMMMmmmm pancakes! Than pan rocks!! Wanted to let you know I chose you as a winner of the Sunshine Blogger Award over on my blog. Go check it out here: http://foodgurly.com/2014/02/27/sunshine-blogger-award/ Congrats! Thanks for all your hard work here at Anna’s Kitchen Table!
How nice of you! Thankyou very much! 🙂
You’re so very welcome! 😉 xo
Your pancakes are delicious and the pan is so cute! 🙂
Wow, they look good, Anna, and I love your new pan. Cute handle!
Thanks, Snowy! I actually make round pancakes now, all the same size! 😀